Friday, January 18, 2013

Silver Linings

I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a few years yesterday.  Someone I had done some work with in the past, who happened to be in a meeting out at Nike, and who stopped by my office to say hi.

When he saw me he said, "I love your haircut!"

Well you know what happened next.  20 minutes later the story was told, the happy ending revealed.

He had one simple question for me.

"How did your husband do?"

And I said, "Incredible."

But I felt the need to elaborate, so I did, and this is what I said:

After twenty years of marriage, I knew he would be there for me.

I knew he would not complain, that he would let me take charge and that he would take charge when I couldn't.

I knew he would find the one, minuscule, positive part of having cancer, and he would milk it for all it was worth - in his mind.

I knew he would never once try and tell me to look on the bright side, that everything happens for a reason, or any of that other bullshit.

And I knew, that the silver lining would be that everyone else in my life got to see why I married him.




2 comments:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs