Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 244 - Back to the grind

After a long break from life, we landed back in the grind today.  For me it wasn't really work that I was dreading, it was my two Dr.'s appointments.

First off my plastic surgeon, who seems to think everything is healing up just fine.  No big news to report there, just that I am about 3 months out from having to make a tattoo decision.

Next was my trip to the basement of the hospital for a little radiation consultation that looked something like this:

Admitting nurse takes my blood pressure, weight, asks about my general health.

Radiologist comes in, chats with me about what we are going to do (33 cycles, so that is every weekday from January 11th - February 24th), gives me a robe to change into, examines my chest (I have never had so many people look at my bubbies in my entire life, at this point even if I were to become a playboy centerfold I feel more people will have already seen them), then leads me to the radiology room that contains this:


That right there is the machine that will be killing any left over cancer.  In my heart I am sure it is all gone, but I am not going to take any chances at this point.  Plus that machine looks totally kickass.

They have you lay down on a sort of bean bag type pad that goes from your waist to your head.  A technician then puts you in the exact position, and builds a mould around your body.  This is what I will lay on every time I come in for treatment to make sure my body stays in the right place.

Next up, the radiologist draws lines all over my chest showing the treatment area.  Stickers are placed around my chest and torso, and into the machine I go.

For about 5 minutes I am left alone in the room, while the machine whirls around me, taking pictures, figuring out positions.

It requires some serious mental strength for me to not loose it.  If you ever want to feel totally alone in the world, may I suggest a whirl in this fine machine.

I wonder, how am I going to get through this? 

Since I have been considering learning about transcendental meditation, I resolve to spend my time in this chamber meditating.  I will let you know how that goes.

After the machine is set, the technician comes in, and as a final prize, I receive my first tattoos.  There are now about 7 spots on my body that the radiation beams will target, all permanent parts of my landscape. 

And yes, those tattoos hurt.  Especially the ones by my ribs.

When I was finished I got dressed, walked to my car, and started my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs