Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day- 241 - 26

It is no surprise to anyone that I am glad to see 2011 come to an end. We toasted to good health all night.

Today we spent some time with one of Doug's cousins. I feel a special kinship towards him; we are the same age, accomplished athletes (he is an Olympian and coach for the LA Gallaxy) and both cancer survivors.

I remember when Curt, at 26, was diagnosed with stage III non-hodgskins lymphomia. It was a total shock to all of us, and I was always impressed by the way he handled himself. He put on his game face, endured 6 months of chemo, and survived.

Back then I remember him telling me that he was, "excited" to have cancer. Not because he wanted to be sick, or face his mortality, but because he knew this was a challenge he could meet.

I am not sure if he would feel that way anymore, now with the layer of a wonderful wife and two children. Too many people depend on him now. But at 26, in Olympian shape, he must have felt invincible.

What I love about seeing him is how much he loves life, how happy he is, and how he rarely thinks about cancer.

Like I said before, I resolve to CONTINUE to be one thing in 2012.

Healthy.

Just like Curt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs