Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 238 - Who me?

I ran into some social friends over the weekend.  People who know me, but are not actively participating in this whole Dawnn has cancer thing.

A few things surprised me.

1.  No mention of my hair.  Trust me hair loss, head shape, and hair growth were major topics while undergoing chemotherapy.  Not sure if everyone was being polite or completely self absorbed.  I know I was being one of those.

2.  When I was telling someone about where I was in my treatment I am pretty sure I saw eyes glaze over.  Radiation?  YAWN.  Medication for the rest of my life?  "Well who isn't on something".  I better come up with some interesting  party small talk STAT or else I run the risk of being at total bore.

3.  Pretty sure Doug didn't have to endure any whispered cancer conversations either.  Hopefully he got to talk about the Rose Bowl, the stock market, and his new found "vegetarianism"

A coworker actually apologized for "forgetting what you are going through".

I told her that it was a good sign, I am no longer being defined as someone who has cancer.

I think I get to be myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs