Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 221 - freshman

I ran into my freshman year dorm roommate tonight and it was like breathing in fresh sunshine.

We probably had not seen each other since we graduated in 1992. Sure we had kept tabs on each other over the years, Facebook helps that a lot, but seeing each other in the flesh and blood is really different.

What surprises me the most is that someone who lived with me when I was eighteen is not only still speaking to me, but genuinely excited to see me.

I knew that she had lost her father in the last year to cancer, and that her mom was recently diagnosed with a reoccurance of breast cancer. Somehow what I write here in this blog has helped her, and for that I am forever grateful.

Frankly I get so much more out of honestly portraying my experience with cancer than you can imagine. It is not always easy, it is not always funny, but it is always how it is.

Probably much like living with me in 1988.

1 comment:

  1. i recently had a very similar experience with my first college roommate. it feels good. thanks for keeping it real.love to you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs