Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 184 - Drained

The worst part of recovery from a bilateral mastectomy is the drains.

Basically I have these really insane long tubes that run from my armpits to my waist with a squeezable bottle at the end. Fluid drains from my surgery sites through the drains and collects in the bottles.

For the first few days I had to measure the amount of fluid several times each day. Then I sort of got board of the whole thing and just counted the "sleeps" until they are removed.

I use the term sleep liberally since I have not been sleeping much.

Hopefully this will all change tomorrow when I have my first post op meeting with my surgeon. Typically this is the day drains are removed.

We will also get a better understanding of what our next steps towards NSD (no sign of disease) are.

Then we will finally get to plan a family getaway.

My hope is to jet off somewhere warm before radiation begins. But if not we will plan a big escape for after.

The Eikenkids are itching for adventure. They have earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs