Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 172 - Jeans

I mean genes.

I wish I could recount all the genetic testing information I received today - in a nut shell it was something like this.

There are about 26 different genes that signal a genetic predisposition to breast cancer.  Of those, 2 have a lot of marketing dollars behind them, BRACA 1 and BRACA 2.  There is a third place contender but I have completely forgotten what its name is (bad marketing).

When you are tested and a result is positive, you sort of know what cancers you have a higher risk of finding.  Then you become a screening, testing, torturing yourself, vigilante to make sure that it never rears it's ugly head again.

If you receive a negative result, that just means that you don't carry 3 of the 26 cancer gene options. 

Or at least that is what I think they said.

The best part of it all came after two hours in the Dr.'s office when I learned that none of the tests are typically covered by insurance.

So I can drop 5k to learn that either I have to be terrified that cancer will come back in some form or just freaked out that it will.

I think I will save the 5k and take a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs