Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 137 - the nose knows

Have I mentioned that chemo makes your nose hairs fall out?  So there is nothing to slow down a runny nose from becoming an embarrassing incident.  

My nose has caused me trouble before.  When I was seventeen, and playing volleyball in Japan, the smallest player on the team accidentally head butted me...right on the nose.

No not in a game but rather as we sat at the edge of my bed goofing around and laughing.

What ensued was one of the more gruesome, and torturous medical experiences (until now) of my life. 

When you break your nose like I did blood gushes to the point where everyone else in the room walks out.

Thankfully our trainer was there, and she was able to take care of me that night - then proceeded to give me copious amounts of narcotics so I could survive the plan ride home. 

This was followed by pretty major reconstructive surgery, the details of which I will spare you.  Let's just say at one point my own mother had to leave the room.

My friend who broke my nose felt terrible, but the situation surrounding it was so funny we couldn't recount the story without laughing.

Laughter is always the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs