Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 72 - From the mouths of babes

I spent a lot of time in bed this weekend.  All my running around and bossieness just seemed to catch up with me.  On Sunday Doug refused to let me out of bed, and I happily complied.

The kids knew where to find me, and I ended up playing countless games of Go Fish and Candyland with Harper.  Now I don't know about you, but I hate Candyland.  Especially when playing with the most competitive 5 year old I ever met (and yes, I do know where she got that trait thankyouverymuch).

In one game Harper pulled the peanut brittle, the napoleon ice cream, the lollipops, the candy hearts and the candy canes - all in the wrong order.  One minute she was up, another she was down - and when she finally succumbed to my superior card pulling skills she demanded a rematch, which she thankfully won.

Go Fish was much more enjoyable.  When I was a little girl I loved card games.  When I was too young to play my aunts tell me I would just sit in my Dad's lap and watch for hours. Harper is much the same.

Later that night, back for more game time, Harper found a tape measure that once belonged to my dad. 



She became fascinated by it, measuring all sorts of things in our bedroom - locking the tape open, counting the numbers on the tape. 

Finally she said, "I bet your dad is thinking of me right now".

I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me, and could only reply, "I bet he is".

1 comment:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs