Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 52 - Breaking the Ice

So I walked into a meeting today full of Nike store managers all excited for me to show them what their new stores are going to look like.  Not one for uncomfortable silences or for ignoring the obvious I blurted out," Hi I am Dawnn, I usually have hair, and I usually don't have cancer.  Next time you see me this will be reversed".

Those of you who know me can appreciate my humor - those 15 people who didn't know me before today were really shocked, uncomfortable, and confused.  I thought I was so clever, so bold, so...funny.  The store managers sort of, well, grimaced.

There should be a manual for people with obvious medical conditions and the general public.  I am stumped with how to just talk about this stuff with strangers.  My usual MO is to use humor (see above story).  The head of my department offered me a potato chip the other day and I said, "no thanks I already have cancer".  Too much?  Too soon?  I say hilarious!

Listen I just want you all to be comfortable with me, lets get this cancer stuff out in the open, and then can we just move on.  Like I have said before cancer is both incredibly inconvenient and profoundly boring, but I am determined to make it socially awkward too!

What I really want to cut through is any unnecessary sympathy thrown my way - and as with anything let's all just try and have some fun with the situation.

And if it is at the expense of a few shocked store managers then so be it.

Heal and Deal - and let's all try and laugh while we are doing it.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs