Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 41 - What a long strange trip it has been

This weekend I ran into multiple acquaintances who had no idea who I was.  It was interesting to know that the first thought registered was, "who is this chemo patient", then a little, "humm, I think I know this person" - but never a complete realization as to who I was. 

I was with Doug each time, and I usually just faded back into the shadows and let him deal with it.  I remember these reactions when my father was obviously sick, and it pissed me off to no end.  Cashiers would only speak to me, on some occasions family friends would avoid him.  But I remember those who had no problem facing his illness, and I know who has no problems with mine.

Honestly most of the time people are very kind, we get a little extra leeway everywhere we go.  Most of the time I think people are being kind to the mother with 3 little kids, and then I remember...ah, they are being kind to the kids with the chemo patient mother.

Today a woman I barely know just looked at me and said, "I am soooo sorry" - and I just ignored her.  Sorry for what?  Trust me lady this cancer thing is going to end up being one of the better things that ever happened to me.  At 40 I get to learn who has my back, who is unafraid of the scary stuff, and who is willing to just listen to my story. 

Speaking of feeling the love - my mother is with her brothers and sisters in Oklahoma, and I received this photo from my Aunties and Cousins:




That right there is a group of incredibly Bossy women, each in her own special way.  I love them all, and only wish I was in the middle of this photo.  They are unafraid of my illness - and I feel their support everyday.

Happy Sunday everyone - I need to go get Bossy with the Eikenkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs