Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 27 - "Friday Night was so great, we didn't even talk about cancer"

You can not imagine how good that feels.  I even spent the weekend sort of forgetting about the whole thing.  I wonder if that nurse would once again accuse me of being in denial.  The reality is, I don't want everything else in my life to take a back seat to the dreaded C.

I am really not a cancer expert, sure I know more than the average Jane, but I realize that each conversation I have about it is not just about me, but about how other people feel, or think they would feel facing the same thing. 

I get a lot of questions as to how I found out, did I feel the lump, was there pain associated with it.  What I typically tell people is no matter what your family history (and we have none), don't leave your heath up to your hopes and fears.  Or for that matter, what a person with cancer is telling you about his or her experience.    Each case is different, if you haven't had your checkup, annual exam, mammogram, colonoscopy, etc get to the Dr and have yourself checked out.

Bottom line, I am glad I felt a lump, and didn't ignore it.  Trust me you really can.  And I am glad that I headed the words of someone who I confided in that cancer was one of my greatest fears.  He told me, 'you are an athlete, you will know when something is going haywire in your body, and you will take care of it".  He was so right. 

Life is short people, don't waste it fearing the unknown, get out their and advocate for yourself.  No one else will - and if someone ever calls you Bossy, take it as the highest compliment.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs