Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 28 - Pre Chemo Jitters

Last time we went in for chemo I was worried about the emotional aspect of it.  Would I break down at the sight of the chemo chairs, would it bring back memories of sitting with my dad in the hospital, would I fit in with the other chemo kids.

The reality was a little easier - there were 3 other people receiving treatment, all women.  It was obvious that I was the newbie.  Tomorrow will be different.

One of my oldest friends is going to be there with me. 

My maid of honor, my best friend through college, the responsible one.  She has been my secret weapon for 20+ years, solid and steady.  Like all friendships ours ebbs and flows with life; husbands, careers, kids - and now cancer.  Never did we ever think we would be sitting in an oncologists office, with one of us on the receiving end of this type of cocktail. 

We should be sitting in a great restaurant, sipping a cocktail.

But I couldn't ask for a better chemo buddy tomorrow.  She will come prepared with great stories, embarrassing magazines and a big steady heart.  She will face cancer head on with me.  She is my bossy back up just in case I need it.

Bossy and ready for chemo.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs