Friday, September 21, 2012

Never Again

One of the biggest lessons I have learned during my dance with cancer is that going about things alone is never the right choice.

Even the most mundane Dr.'s appointment should be shared with someone you love.

Today, I headed to my oncologist for my very first "3 month check up". 

And for some reason I went all by myself.

When I walked into the office and immediately went and had my blood drawn panic began to set in.

I asked the nurse, "Do you test that right now?"

"Yes", was her reply.

Next I was ushered into the examination room, and immediately sent out a text to my girlfriends. 

"I am a little freaked out here..." 

Worst case scenarios rolled around in my head.  I remember a long time ago being on a business trip with my boss who's husband had kidney cancer.  He was on the phone with her, after walking out of his first 3 month check up.  At the time it seemed serious, but not really scary.  Somewhat routine.

Now I realized how wrong I was.  I now understood how terrifying a 3 month check up is.

After a few minutes my oncologist came in, checked me out, (yes this does include feeling me up, but in a much gentler way than my radiologist).

I told him about the pain I have experienced in my legs, to which he replied, "I am confident it is not anything sinister.",he checked my heart which he felt had, "completely healed", and then he told me everything was fine and he would see me in another 3 months.

Suddenly I was free to go live my life blissfully away from cancer for another 3 months. 

And I learned a valuable lesson.  Not only was I getting all worked up over nothing, but as my friend Ali reminded me, I missed out on celebrating three months without cancer with someone I love.

When I got home I grabbed Doug, I grabbed the kids, and we walked down the street to celebrate what a great day it had been.

I had made it to my 3 month check up.

I had made it 3 months without cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs