Thursday, August 16, 2012

I finally met my match

There are a million different types of Breast Cancer.  Different stages, hormone receptor positive, HER2 status, lobular, ductal.  The list could go on and on.

When you sit with your surgeon and finally hear your diagnosis, you realize that each cancer is different.

So I was surprised today when I finally met my breast cancer match.  A fellow Nike employee who is about a year behind me in her BC life, but who shares my same diagnosis.

We were both stage 2a.  We both had lymph node involvement.  We both had chemo, surgery, radiation.

When you are diagnosed with something like cancer, you just want to find another living breathing human who has the same type you have.  Someone you can look to and think, "they don't look any worse for the wear."  Someone who has survived.

I remember when a man who had lived with Pancreatic cancer for 5+ years came and visited my father.  Only now can I understand the bond they instantly had.  I can't remember that man's name, but I am so grateful that he took the time out of his day to bring a little hope to our house during a very bleak time.

It was nice to be the one on the other side today.  The one giving advice and encouragement.

The one who didn't seem any worse for the wear.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs