Thursday, August 2, 2012

365

I think my friend Allison said it best today when she wrote, "doesn't even know what to say besides the fact that a year ago today started out so very normal...and ended so very not."

A year ago I was feeling pretty sick.  I was 100 days into my new reality, and singularly focused on what was happening to me and only me.

And then we heard the devastating news that my friend Allison's 12 year old daughter Kayla had been hit by a car and was in a coma that she was not expected to wake up from.

It was a total shock.  Allison and her family have been a constant in my life since, literally, the day I was born.  We went to middle school and high school together.  Played on a championship Basketball team together.  We lost our fathers while we were in our 20's.

So for both of us to be each facing such intense, life changing moments at the same time simply did not seem fair.

Don't get me wrong, I would never compare the two.  But if you went back 100 thin days, our lives would appear very different.

I am not sure if either of us knows what normal is anymore.

While what I lost was replaced with expansion and surgery, what Allison lost is impossible to replace.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs