Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chemin De Fer

I had a short, throw away conversation with a friend today that has been ruminating in my head for a while.

To summarize, I paid her a compliment on her jeans (they were super cute, and looked great on her), she went on to tell me that just yesterday she was feeling self conscious about her weight, feeling bad about gaining a few pounds, but this morning she decided she needed to snap out of it, put on her cute jeans, and feel better about herself.

Which reminded me of two seperate conversations I had while we were on our trip.

The first was with a friend of over twenty years who told me he thought I would have no problem aging, that my personality would get me through the tough parts!  I was not sure if he felt I was currently going through a tough part or not, but neveryoumind.

The second was while Harper and I were changing into our swimsuits one afternoon.  She looked at my chest and asked me, "Mama did cancer do that to your body?"

And I simply said, "yes".

One thing that I keep reminding myself, is no matter what our bodies look like, wrinkled, freckled, grey, saggy, what we carry in our mind is what is interesting.  And while I am sure it is amazing to walk around built like Gisele Bundchin, it is also amazing walking around being me.

So, if you find yourself wishing you weighed a little less, used sunscreen when you were fifteen, or that your mom married Robert Redford, just stop. 

Appreciate that body of yours, feed it well, it is the only one you've got.

And when in doubt, put on your cutest pair of jeans, and feel better about yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs