Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Big Chill

It is hard to believe that for the first time in over a year I will not be receiving treatment this week.  Trust me I don't miss it.

My last treatment was pretty eventful.  Kristy came with me, all big and pregnant.  My nurse sat and chatted with us for about 30 minutes, talked about what my follow-up care was going to look like (blood tests every 3 months for the next 5 years), hot flashes, and babies.

Since I had my port removed, I received treatment via an IV in my hand.  Let's just say I am thankful that I opted for the port, not that I really had any choice.

The nurses cranked up the music, and we had ourselves a dance party while my last dose of Herceptin worked it magic.

First off was a little Foo Fighters - but when that got some frowns from the crowd, I had the nurses change the station to whatever they wanted.

First song up was from the Big Chill soundtrack.

I think there were about 3 years of my life where the Big Chill soundtrack was in my tape deck 80% of the time.  It accompanied me to my friend Jenny B's house the first time I was able to drive by myself.  It followed me and my high school crew up and down PCH for months on end.  I can belt out every song, word for word, even today.

So it was fitting, that on this most significant of days, any song from that time would pop up.  It felt like my old friends from Huntington Beach had ordered it up for me as way to say they had been behind me the entire time.

When my nurse pulled out my IV, and gave me my last band aid, I burst into the happiest tears of my life.

And I have felt that way ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs