Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 331- Balance

I am a firm believer that you can have it all. For some that means a house full of kids, with or without a partner, with or without a career.

For other people having it all does not include children, but maybe a pet or two.

I am on the have kids and a career team. Some days I love this better than others. When I walk out of the office at 5 I feel guilty leaving my workmates behind. When I try and work late, I feel guilty leaving my family behind.

There really is no way around it, some days work wins, some days family does.

On those occasions when I have to choose between the two I use the 30, 1, 5 rule.

In 30 days who is going to be more impacted by my decision?  What happens when I look back in a year, then 5.

So if the choice is going to Harper's school play, or being at the table of a critical meeting, Harper is going to win out.  Sure in 30 days my boss may still look back and think I am soft, but Harper would carry the sting much longer.  Within a year my boss will likely forget the meeting altogether, but Harper would never forget.

It helps keep things in perspective.

Part of Balance is also making sure to take vacations.  As a family we have not been away for a week long vacation in over year.

Tomorrow we leave for some fun in sunny Palm Springs, and I can't wait.

It won't balance out the last year, but it is a good start.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post! Balancing family and career can be difficult but it doesn't have to be, and your system of making it work is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs