Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 324 - Words of Wisdom

One afternoon when I was in 3rd grade, my sister Kristy and I were playing on the school playground.

I was having a blast on my roller skates, Kristy was flying around on her banana seat bicycle.  

She cruised right up to me, said, " hold of my seat and I will pull you around", and just as I was grabbing to hold on she took off.

I reached for the seat that was no longer there, my skate hit a tiny rock, and CRASH I was down.

I knew immediately that something was wrong, very wrong, with my left arm.

Luckily we knew one of the families that lived across the street, and they bundled me into the car to drive me home.

The whole time we were driving I was so afraid that my parents were not going to take this injury seriously.  I thought my mom was going to give me her trademark, "you'll live", and send me on my way.

Thankfully on that day she sprang into action.  My arm was broken, and the bone had dislocated.  It was a millimeter away from fulfilling my greatest fear (compound fracture).  

I was in a cast for what seemed like forever.

Looking back on my childhood I realize my mom did me a big favor, a favor that I am passing on to my kids too.  She helped me become  a pretty tough cookie.

Unless you were bleeding out of your eyeballs, or had a very seriously broken arm, she was not going to pay any attention to the myriad of scratches, bruises, cuts that make up a childhood.

She would simply remind me, "you'll live".



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs