Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 278 -In case you haven't learned anything up to this point...

Have you had your mammogram?

There has been a heated debate as to how old you should be before your first mammogram, which began with a government panel's report in 2009 that suggested women could wait until age 50.

The study showed that a big chunk of the breast cancers found in women in their 40's are stage zero.

While stage zero cancer is still cancer, there is a school of thought that these cancers will not progress past stage zero for at least 10 years, if ever.

However, there are always the exceptions.

I was 40 when I was diagnosed with Stage II breast cancer.

I thought I had zero risk factors (did you know having a baby after 30 was a risk factor?), felt a "lump" (not a lump really, to be honest the thing that was really bothering was a pain in my armpit that wouldn't go away), saw my Dr. who didn't think it was anything to worry about, but who still wrote the referral for my mammogram.

And here is the important part.  I made the call, I set up the appointment, and I went to the exam.

Want to know what would have happened to me if I waited until I was 50 to have my first mammogram?

I would not have made it to 50.

It is that simple.

Sure a mammogram is uncomfortable, you are literally squeezed between two cold metal plates.  A perfect stranger fondles you with out so much as a hello.

But trust me when I tell you that a mammogram is about 2.9 billion times better than what could happen if you wait too long.

And I am not talking about myself here, I really feel like one of the lucky ones who caught it

just                           in                          time.

Who knows how much longer my cancer wanted to jump from lymph node to lymph node before diving into more precious places, places it could not be cut out of.

So do me a favor.

Make an appointment today.

Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs