Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving - thanks for giving

Cancer survivors have a lot to be thankful for. Each day tastes a little better the further away we get from that initial diagnosis.

For me it always comes back to family. And mine is pretty big.

My family. The one I was born into. I would choose each and every one of them if given the chance. My mom, my sisters, my aunts, my uncles, and cousins.

My family. The one I married into. I would do it all over again just to have you in my life. My in laws, my brother and sisters in law, and a great bunch of nephews and nieces. The east coast Eikenberry's.

My family. The one I collected. Friends that I have had since I was my children's age, friends I made on the softball field, the basketball court, the volleyball court. Friends that were Doug's first, then became mine forever.

My family. My brothers and sisters of the same or another cancer. You are welded into my heart. I carry you, and your stories with me everywhere I go.

My family. Graham. The boy who made me a mother. Who came into this world so easily that I thought it would be a good idea to just keep adding to the klan. The boy who everyday reminds us of both his grandfathers.

My family. Harper. The little girl who reminds me so much of myself. The little girl who is a gamer, ready for anything. The little girl that takes me to places I have never been before with her imagination.

My family. Harris. The little boy who I knew was missing from our family the day Harper was born. The free spirit of the family. The little boy who makes us laugh and shake our heads simultaneously.

My family. Doug. I had no idea. His lifeline tugs me back up whenever the tide tries to pull me away. He is my best friend. A better friend to me than I am to him. He is patient when my bossiness gets out of control. When we promised in sickness and in health I don't think either of us thought we would be here today.

We don't break promises.

My promise, to all of you, is to continue to love an appreciate all of it. The highs and the lows. For this is life. And I am thankful for every moment of it

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs