Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day - 206 a low point

Last night, about 2 hours into our flight from New York to Portland I was witness to what I can only assume was a low point of a perfect stranger.

Seated three rows in front of me, a woman in the last row of first class decided it was time for her to get off the plane.  She calmly picked up her bag, walked to the front, and proceeded to try and open the emergency exit door.

The flight crew was on her within seconds.  And then she began to shriek.  Like a wounded animal.  And scream, and fight.

Eventually the crew was able to get her back in her seat, the, "is there a Dr. on board" announcement was made, and the plane grew silent. 

It took the Dr. over an hour to calm her down enough in order to administer a sedative.  (from out of nowhere an IV bag, full of who knows what, appeared.  The woman seated next to me, who's husband is a pilot, said that planes are fully prepared for a multitude of medical incidents).

And we all watched, this most real reality.  I wondered who was waiting for her in Portland.  I wondered what had happened to cause such duress in what appeared to be a perfectly mentally healthy woman.

When we landed the police and paramedics were there to take her off the plane.  I was shocked by her appearance when she stood up. 

She looked like the most alone person on the planet.

20 minutes later I was home, checking in on each of my sleeping children. 

And I know that I am surrounded by people who love me.

Even on a long flight, half way between here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs