Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day -181. Next

Yesterday was one of my lower points in cancerland. My brain was full of pain meds, muscle relaxers, and antibiotics.

Today I have a clearer head so I will try to explain what will happen next.

The pathologists found some residual cancer in my original tumor. Basically chemo crushed it, but a few cancer cells remained.

They also found residual cancer in 5 of the 15 lymph nodes that were removed. The good news here is that we know the cancer did not make it into my lymphatic system.

Trust me, that is really good news.

For all we know the cancer may already be 100% gone from my body, radiation is simply the ultimate insurance policy.

And since I have taken the throw the kitchen sink attitude towards my cancer treatment, receiving radiation should have always been part of my plan.

We are hoping that I will recover quickly from my surgery, that I can complete my reconstruction, and radiation should start in about 8 weeks.

From what I have read and heard the problem with radiation is you have to go every day, 5 days a week, for 8-10 weeks. And it can give you what amounts to a sunburn at the site.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

So let's look toward March for the cancer has left the room party.

I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs