Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 140 - Flight 11

My first boss in NYC was everything you should expect, and hope for, in the fashion industry.

She was connected.

She was super fabulous.

She invited me to everything.

She introduced me to her friends.

She had a Warhol...original.

She was my "The Devil Wears Prada" boss.

Her best friend, who I will call Bunny,  was also the only person I personally knew who died on September 11th. 

My boss and I had an epic falling out when, as happens in every one's career, I went to her and told her that I was considering another opportunity.

In a flash I was thrown out on the street...literally.  There was no 2 weeks notice, no heartfelt congratulations, no going away party. 

When I tried to reach out to her, I was met with Bunny.  Bunny happened to be staying at her apartment when I stopped by unannounced to try and clear the air. 

Bunny, her tears matching mine, simply told me to give it time.  That my boss would come around.  That it was good that I was moving up in my career.

She was such a free spirit, so magical, that I had to believe her.

Bunny gave me a warm hug, and sent me on my way.

Years later I was shocked to read her name in the paper - shocked to learn that she was on Flight 11 from Boston to LA.  Saddened to know that her death would leave her two teen aged sons orphans.

I knew my boss was hurting - this was her lifelong best friend.  But there had never been the reconciliation that Bunny had believed would come.  And now was not the time to try and start one.

A few weeks after September 11th I read the most amazing story.   

Years earlier Bunny had given my boss an amazing gold ring with a cross as a sign of their friendship, matching a ring she had always admired.  They wore those matching rings every day, reminding themselves of their bond. 

A photo of that ring appeared on the cover of the NY Times, telling the story of unclaimed items found at the World Trade Center site, and how to claim them.

Somehow, through all the jet fuel, all the ash, steel, papers, debris, that small gold ring was found.

A week later another story ran - about how my  boss fought to prove she knew the rightful owner.  All it took was her showing up with the exact same ring to claim it, and return it to Bunny's children.

My former boss and I have not spoken, since the day I resigned, over 15 years ago. She simply could never forgive me for leaving her.

With her ring, I know that Bunny was showing her that they would be together forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs