Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 81 - SHARK!

I have this really killer photo of my dad on my desk at work.  It shows him holding a baby shark that he has just caught fishing from the shore in Cardiff, CA.

It is around dusk, and my friend Gretchen and I are in the water.  I am sure one of us is on a boogie board and the other is on the surf board we were sharing.  I can't remember which one of us realized first that my dad had caught a baby shark, but I do remember getting out of that water as fast as possible.

Baby Shark = Big Mad Mama shark.

Now any 6 year old with a shark obsession would tell you:

1.  You should not swim in the ocean at dusk, this is when sharks come close to shore to eat. 
2.  That baby sharks mama would be no where to be seen, having bailed on that little shark long ago

But alas we were probably 14 or 15, and not too schooled on the science of sharks.  I do remember my dad putting the shark back in the water, and watching it swim back out to sea.

The next morning we were back out on the water.  That baby shark was never far from our minds, but the allure of the ocean was too great to keep us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs