Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 84 - Ironman

I love NBC's coverage of the Kona Ironman competition.  I am easily inspired by athletes, but for some reason the Ironman gets me more than most athletic events.

It really isn't about who wins - in usual NBC fashion it is the stories they dig up about the regular people racing. 

Today it was the inspiration of several cancer survivors that hit me in my solar plexus.  One who trained while going through chemotherapy so severe he had to be hospitalized, another a father who survived pancreatic cancer who was racing with his daughter.

In case you don't know what exactly an Ironman is let me put it to you this way, it is a marathon in the water (2.4 mile swim), on a bike (113 mile ride)  and on the road (26.2 mile run).  And people from all walks of life do them - 80 year olds, blind people, cancer survivors.

And you get 17 hours to finish it.

Now don't think I am going off the deep end here, I am not contemplating training for an Ironman.

I just needed a little motivation to  go to the gym.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs