Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 15 - Chemo is really boring

Today was the first of 16 treatments I will receive over the next 5 months.  It's a lot like being the new kid in school, being the new kid at Chemo.  Doug and I made a dashing couple, and were suddenly hit with the reality of the situation...these treatments are long and boring!

My nurse spent about 30 minutes with us going over everything.  It felt like she was making a Barbara Walters type surgical strike to try and break me.  She kept asking if I had any questions for her, reminded me of the side effects (again), and finally accused me of, "being too calm".  Looked me dead in the eye and asked if I was in denial about the whole thing. 

Thankfully Doug was there - he tried to explain that this was just our way - we don't like drama, and getting all worked up about this whole situation is just going to get us...all worked up.  Yes I have cancer, yes I have to have 5 months of Chemo, yes my hair is going to fall out.  But guess what, today is Monday, it is all we have, and our Monday is going just fine thank you.  Sure there will be days that are really tough, but we are holding it together today.

My teammate (we will name it) - worked beautifully.  However I think we put her into the game too soon because OUCH! when that needle went in.  Honestly that was the worst part - otherwise I consider myself fully updated on the Royal Wedding, Brad and Angelina's relationship, and I got to read a few chapters of Eat Pray Love.  Doug had a nap and finished two weeks of Wall Street Journals.  Oh and there is Tea and Graham crackers.

Hope to see you all at CHAP this Saturday 4 - 7pm.  Remember this is the new space on NW 16th and Savior.  I will post the invite as soon as I have it.

Super Dooper Bossy today.

d

3 comments:

  1. OMG I hope you don't have to face her each time! Then maybe you can teach her a thing or two! Now the waiting game to see how your body reacts...wish I could take your place... Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat with my friend Patt a few times when she was going through Chemo. The best part were the views from OHSU and yes it was still boring..... I'm totally in for some boring afternoons! Working my butt off now, so I can aid in some boring time off with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad that you can't jump straight into radiation ... then you could just come visit me in Japan and get a dose. ;) Bad joke but what do you expect from me? Wish I could puke a bit for you. Thinking of you and your family every hour of every day.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs