Thursday, October 18, 2012

No cancer

Yesterday Doug and I came to the conclusion that I would have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed, and we would take a pass on the full hysterectomy.

Today I scheduled the surgery (November 20th), spoke with the nurse, and felt a peace with my decision.

A few moments later my cell phone rang - showing the number, well known by me at this point, of my Dr.'s office.

My heart skipped a beat as I answered.  I knew that the voice on the other end of that phone would either be that of a nurse (always good news), or my Dr. (always bad news).

This is a simple detail I have learned along the way.  If you are waiting for test results, and the afternoon passes - that usually means bad news - as this type of news is always delivered by the Dr. themselves, and they typically only have time in the morning, or later in the afternoon to make their calls.

When I was told I had breast cancer it was over the phone, in the morning, and it was my Dr. on the other end.

When I was told that my lymph nodes still contained some residual cancer, it was in the evening, and it was my Dr. on the other end.

When I learned that my bone scan and my CAT scan were clear it was a nurse who told me one joyful afternoon.

So when my phone rang today, mid afternoon, and even though I knew that there was no way I had ovarian cancer, I was still relieved to hear the nurse on the other end say - "the results of your test came back, and they are negative."

The timing could not have been better - I get to escape for the weekend with a few girlfriends, clear my head, and wear pajamas all weekend.

I think I have earned it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs