Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 417 - dusting off

I used to love Volleyball.

The night before practice, as I was falling asleep, I would get so excited that I got to play the next day. 

I think I bounced, set, tossed a volleyball in my room more than anything.

Two of my best friends, the two women who were my rocks over the last year, were met on a volleyball court.

For some reason, as the years went by, I detached myself from the girl who loved to play.  My career started to be the place where I put all that focus and energy.

My volleyball life seemed to have been lived by someone else. 

Another time.

Another place.

Tonight, we took the kids to the gym to shoot baskets, and burn off some energy. 

I walked by a group of people playing a pick up game of volleyball.

They asked me if I wanted to play.

Without hesitation I said yes, which surprised me.

Part of why I stopped playing was because I had performed at such an elite level, I was so competitive, that I was not sure I could enjoy the game standing next to someone who was playing for the first time.

It turns out, none of that matters to me any more.

I simply want to do things that I enjoy, regardless of how well I can do them.

So I played a game of pick-up volleyball, where we didn't keep score, where I had to explain the rules to a few people, where more than one person served underhand.

And I loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs