Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 362 - This really happened

Way back in 1993 Doug and I were living in Switzerland, where I was playing volleyball professionally.

The teams throughout the leagues in Europe are allowed two foreign players, most teams had at least one American player, many who I had played against at some point in my life.

After a game in Geneva, I sat and had a great chat with a fellow American named Cathey Scotlan.  Cathey was an amazing athlete, an All-American, and  future Olympian.

A few weeks later I was shocked to learn that Cathey had suddenly fallen ill, and lapsed into a coma.

I remember hearing that she remained in a coma for a while, but lost track of what was happening to her.  In fact I had not really thought about her until last night.

I had forgotten that Cathey played volleyball at the University of the Pacific. That she was the teammate of my friend Sharon who many of you know passed away last month.

A lot of the UoP alumni attended Sharon's funeral, but unfortunately not Cathey.  

You see, Cathey had remained in that coma, the one that started in 1993, all this time.

A former teammate decided to pay her a visit a few days after Sharon's funeral, wanting to let Cathey know the sad news that Sharon had died.  

She found Cathey in the same room she had been in for close to two decades.  She was upset that Sharon was gone, she was upset that Cathey was in this tragic state of limbo.  

As she left the hospital she told the nurses why she had been there, how she felt Cathey would want to know about Sharon.

She was shocked to learn that a few hours after she left, Cathey died.

Some are saying Cathey had been waiting all this time to meet up with one of her teammates in Heaven.  And once Sharon got there she didn't want her to be alone.

I am not sure what I believe.

But this did really happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs