Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 326 - 20 more

Twenty years ago today I married my best friend.

As I have said before, it was the singularly best decision I have made in my entire life.

This last year has been our toughest.

When I found out I had cancer I sat in my office stunned.

I picked up the phone a few times to call Doug and just waited. I knew that what I was about to tell him was going to be devastating, that it would forever change our lives.

I wanted him to have a few more moments of peace.

When I finally found the courage to tell him his first words, "oh honey", were delivered with such love and compassion it nearly broke my heart.

We have always imagined growing old together.

Like really old.

Never did I ever think this wasn't going to happen.

Until this year.

For some people 20 years would seem like a long time. A successful marriage.

For me it is not nearly enough time.

We are just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs