Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 306 - Got my wings back

One of the harder parts of going through radiation was that I was unable to do any overnight travel.

Because I had to receive treatment everyday, I was literally grounded for January and February.

It felt a lot like one of the times I was grounded by my parents.  How because I did something terrible (told a lie)  I was not allowed to go to the St. Bonaventure Carnival.

My sisters, who didn't really have the capacity of love for me that they do now, felt really bad.

You see the Carnival was one of the most anticipated social events of the year.  And since our house was only a block away, we would spend 3 straight days there, riding rides, tossing dimes into glasses, eating a lot of carnival food (it is no wonder I had cancer).

I could also hear all the fun from my bedroom window, for three straight days.

All the fun I was restricted from.

Anyway, apparently my sisters tried to win a stuffed animal to cheer me up, but all they could win was a sad little goldfish.

Walking home they ran into a neighborhood boy, who I happened to have a crush on, and who also happened to have in his mitts, a stuffed animal.

I am not sure how much, or what type of persuasion it took, but a trade was made, my sisters came home with a stuffed animal for me, and my crush went home with a goldfish for his mom.

That carnival goldfish ended up living for over a decade.

The stuffed animal, a bird, was long forgotten.

But my restriction never was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs