Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 268 - perspective

I think I have mentioned before how much I like my radiologist.  He is a really positive guy, and as an added bonus looks like someone who could, well, save your life.

Every Friday we sit down for a little chat - he checks my skin, my demeanor, and then sends me on my way.

Today he was out, so I got the substitute Dr.

This one didn't look like he could survive a stiff breeze. 

His first question to me was, "how old are you?"  Since the average age of breast cancer diagnosis is 65 I am a youngster in these parts.  He smiled when I said, "41".

The he asked if I was feeling any fatigue.  I told him most days I feel OK, but some days I am just exhausted.  

His take was it wasn't radiations fault.  What I really was feeling was the impact of the stress of a cancer diagnosis, running around to a million appointments, and trying to stay present in my real life.  

I think I blinked about 40 times to push the tears back into my eyes, but he saw right through me.

"Don't worry, the great thing about someone your age and with your diagnosis is that you will survive this".

And I was reminded.

With age comes wisdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs