Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 250 - sleep, recover, repeat

I slept like rumplestilskin yesterday. My day looked something like this:

Wake up at 5am for shower

Kiss children and whisper, "always remember mama loves you" in their warm ears.

Drive less than one mile to hospital.

Check in at front desk

Sit in waiting room surrounded by 3 other patients and their families. I wonder what each person was there for, assuming it must be something urgent considering how close to the holidays we were.

Walk back to surgery waiting area, holding Doug's hand.

Put on hospital gown (insert bad hospital gown joke here).

Nurse gives me green socks, and puts a plastic blanket on me that is pumped full of warm air, apparently since operating rooms are so cold, patients shiver a lot, and since shivering takes
away from the body's ability to heal, one must stay as warm as possible.

Insert IV (nurse nailed it on the first try)

Stand up for Dr. Z to take a sharpie to my skin.

Wheel down to operating room,awake (but thankfully with a little vicodin).
- for my port surgery I was wheeled into the operating room wide awake, having declined the vicodin, never in my life have I felt so alone, it was horrible. I have accepted the pre-meds ever since).

Slip over to the operating table which is about half the width of a twin bed.

Anesthesiologist (who happened to be our old next door neighbor when we first moved to Portland) tells me I am going to start to feel warm.....

Wake up in recovery room telling the nurses I just want to go home and go to sleep. Takes them a while to wake me up enough for this to actually happen.

Get home, smile at my sister, smile at my kids, snuggle into bed and sleep for what felt like forever. (at one point Doug had our babysitter checking to make sure I was breathing every half an hour).

Woke up for a few hours, then slept until my 6:45am Graham wake up call.

Feeling pretty good today, so thankful that this part of my year with breast cancer is over.

Next up Radiation.

And yes, my boobs look fantastic.

I guess Christmas came early for me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs