Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 96 - The Future

Today was D day of sorts.  I had a long anticipated appointment with my surgeon.  So anticipated that I showed up for it two weeks ago.  I would love to blame it on chemo brain, but I think I really just wanted her to give me some good news.

The way this whole chemo thing works is that it obliterates your tumor.  So much so that upon examination your Dr. can tell if it is working or not.

All along I have felt that we were getting the results we wanted.  Today my Dr. confirmed it - the chemo is working, and she no longer feels the tumor in my breast or my lymph nodes.

Which lead to a little Eikenberry celebration tonight. 

The plan is - chemo will end the last week of September - I will have a bilateral mastectomy on October 18th along with reconstruction. 

Of course there has to be some drama involved.  For me it will be whether the lymph nodes are clear of cancer - if they are (which I know they will be) we are cancer free.  If not radiation will get me there, it will just take a little longer.

No matter what my port will stay with me for about another 11 months.  Because of the type of cancer I have, I will still receive treatment every 3 weeks until July of 2012.  This is not chemo, but a medication that has shown amazing success in knocking cancer on its ass forever.

So there will be two celebrations.  One in November to celebrate the first phase of cancerland being over, and then a big blow out next year, when my port is removed and the oncologist office is a place I no longer visit.

We are getting there kids - thank you all for your support - I feel it every day.

Healing and Dealing

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you everyday. I have a lot of tips for your mastectomy. I will email you. You are kickin' ass. I love reading your blog because everything you have talked about I can empathize with. You should think about turning this into a book for young survivors. I have always wanted to take my blog and others and compile them. Maybe we can do that together. Hugs to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs